Regardless of where you live, if you’re renting make sure you are covered with insurance. There is a reason most major property management companies force tenants to show proof of insurance. Renter’s insurance provides essential coverage for those leasing and living in someone else’s property. See which companies offer the best coverage or best discounts!
Best Overall Customer Satisfaction: Erie Insurance
Erie is number 1 in customer service. They've received 5/5 stars from J.D. Power Home Insurance. Erie offers comprehensive insurance options that cover personal property, identity recovery, and even living expenses during repairs, etc.
- Living expenses: After a fire or other loss, you may need somewhere to stay while your building gets repaired. Renters coverage provides additional living expenses, which can pay for a hotel stay, temporary rentals, meals and other expenses you may have. (Consult your policy for limits.)
- Liability protection: For injury or harm to other people or property. It also provides medical payments* for someone hurt in an accident while visiting your home.
- Protection away from home: It covers your liability and personal property everywhere you go -- anywhere in the world.
- We've got you covered: Your things are important to you and if there was a fire, burglary or other covered loss, a policy from Erie Insurance can protect your things.
- Your landlord's policy: Your building's insurance policy most likely does not cover your personal belongings. (Many people don't realize this.)
Best Territories Served: State Farm
State Farm has an agent work force of over 50,000 people and they cover the most geography in the United States. They offer policies and even cover very remote and rural areas.
This insurance covers items you own inside your apartment or rental home, including electronics like televisions and computers, bicycles, furniture, and clothing. It might also cover items in your apartment's garage, on your deck or patio, and in your driveway.
Renters insurance coverage extends to personal property in your car, too. If your laptop is stolen from your car, it’s covered. If your bike is stolen while you’re at work, it’s covered.
Best Discounts: Allstate
Allstate offers the most and best discounts! They offer discounts for good grades, veterans, retirees, etc. Depending on how many discounts you can stack Allstate might be the cheapeast policy provider for you!
All too often, renters don't get insurance coverage because they're concerned about the cost. Allstate Renters Insurance is not only reliable, but it's also affordable. You may be able to pay as little as $4 a month for it when you add it to your Allstate auto policy. That's a small price to pay to know the things you own are well protected. See the savings you can get, and ask for a renters insurance quote today.
Best for Cost: American Family
American Family offers the cheapest insurance. However, just because it's cheap doesn't mean that it lacks value or has bad customer service. American Family gets 4/5 stars from J.D. Power!
You may not own your home, but your belongings transform your apartment into a place that’s uniquely yours. From electronics, to furniture, to décor, Your things mean a lot to you and we're here to keep them protected. Odds are your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your stuff, and that’s where we come in.
American Family renters insurance safeguards you from the unexpected. And because we know no two renters are alike, our customizable coverages help protect the things that matter most to you — giving you the confidence you need to stress less focus on your future.
Best for Claims Service: Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual won't be the cheapest option for most people, but they offer 24/7 claim filing over the phone or online. They have an excellent group of claims agents that will help you with your claim at any time!
Here are some scenarios where Liberty Mutual can help you:
- Upon returning from a long weekend away, you discover your place was broken into and your bike is missing. Personal Property coverage can help you replace your stolen bike and any other items that are missing.
- During a party at your place, someone slips on the kitchen floor and breaks their wrist. You'll be protected from any legal claim this person may bring against you with Liability coverage.
- A pipe bursts in your apartment and it becomes unlivable. Additional Living Expenses coverage will pay for temporary lodging while the pipe is fixed.